One of my favorite things is heading out to Farmer's Markets and having FRESH FOOD available again! I do plant my own organic veggie garden, but I typically do not plant it until about now. Some of the farmers at the market have had their lettuces and spinach growing in hoop houses in the north so it is now available in the Farmer's Market.
Look at these gorgeous lettuces that I bought from Farmer Chet at Black River Organics this week. The one on the left is a red romaine and the one on the right is named Merlot and is a deep burgundy leaf lettuce. I visited his farm because I missed going to the market this weekend. It was such a treat to get them fresh from the farm.
- Fresh produce is more nutritious because typically vegetables and fruits loose their nutrients over time once they are harvested.
- More flavorful varieties are available--produce varieties that are shipped are chosen for their ability to hold up in transit and not ripen too quickly.
- You get to know your farmer and find out how the produce is grown. Just because it isn't labeled organic doesn't mean it has been sprayed. It helps to ask.
- The vegetables and fruits are so colorful and attractive you just want to take them home with you. You are enticed to eat healthier.
- It is cost effective to buy produce in season and freeze or can some so you have it for the colder months. Freezing is especially fast.
- There is more than produce available at Farmer's Markets. You may find herbs, honey and maple syrup, fresh baked bread and granola, plants, soaps and scents, alpaca products, sauces, salsas and jellies, coffee, quilts, artwork, jewelry, fresh eggs, cheese, meat and you might even find bone broth!
- There may be live music and good food at your local Farmer's Market, too.
- Farmer's Markets are becoming the place to be in the community to connect with people.
- And with every purchase, you are supporting your local economy.
The Farmer's Markets local to me in Ohio include:
- Oberlin Market--Open Saturdays May-October 9AM-1PM. Located in the parking area between the Public Library and City Hall in downtown Oberlin, OH.
- Elyria Farmer's Market at 328 Broad Street downtown Elyria, OH. Saturdays 10AM-2PM. This is a newer market and is starting to grow. They have music and great barbecued ribs! Facebook:Invest-Elyrias-Farmers-Market
- Avon Lake Farmer's Market is held every Tuesday in June and July at The United Church of Christ, 32801 Electric Blvd, Avon Lake, OH. AvonLakeFarmerMarket.org for information.
- Amherst Farmer's Market every Wednesday 4-7PM. At the St. Peters United Church of Christ, 582 Church St, Amherst, OH.
- Wellington Farmer's Market Fridays 5-7PM beginning June 12 and is held at 201 South Main Street, Wellington, OH.
Lots of Love,