Blueberries are considered a superfood. Deep coloring in fruits and veggies is a sign of phytonutrients which give the blueberry its high level of antioxidants.
- high in vitamin C--for tissue repair and wound healing
- high in manganese--helps your body process cholesterol, carbs and protein
- high in fiber--so good for your heart
Blueberries have been shown to:
- enhance memory and decrease symptoms of depression in the elderly
- lower blood pressure
- reduce bad cholesterol
- reduce breast cancer risk
Yep, that's me at the blueberry farm, filling my bucket. I picked 5 pounds that day! We usually pick about 30 pounds of blueberries and freeze them for use throughout the year.
A great thing to know about blueberries is that, when they are fresh, they store best in the refrigerator before washing. So, wash them just before eating. And if you'd like to pick our local organic blueberries, here is the link for info: Black River Organics
Wash blueberries, preferably in water with produce wash, then rinse well in a colander. Allow them to drain. Lay a towel or paper towels on a cookie sheet that has an edge, so they don't roll off. Pour the berries onto the paper towels so that they are in a single layer. Shift the tray side to side to roll them around to dry. Gently slide the towel out from under them. Put the tray carefully into the freezer and leave them there over night. The next day, put them in ziplock freezer bags and store them in your freezer for up to a year.
by Karen Johnson
- Make your vinaigrette by putting all of the ingredients for the dressing into a blender. Add a dash of seasalt and black pepper to taste.
- Make your salad by layering--first the greens, then the chunks of soft goat cheese, toasted pecans and blueberries. I use about 1-2 T of each topping per salad.
- Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
- If you like your dressing more lemony--add some of the lemon zest. Be sure that your lemon is organic before using the zest. Adding a splash of red wine such as a cabernet or merlot is also a nice complement to this dressing.
- Extra dressing will store in the refrigerator for a few days.
Have a Berry Good Week!
Lots of Love,